Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Steam Sales Guide: May 6th

Welcome to the weekly Steam Sales Guide. As I mentioned last time, I'll be including my Steam Sales rules for how to buy games that pop up on sale, and then put in my two cents for games that I think you should check out. The list is quite long this week, so let's get started.

Guidelines for purchasing on the new Steam Weekly Sales: These are some general guides to help you with the multitude of games on sale that are outside my recommendations. We may have different taste in games, and so a game I don't think is worth it may be to you. Following these guidelines though will help you to make good Steam mini-sales decisions.

1. Only buy at 50% off or greater: Many of the games going on sale are priced with 10-40% discounts. While this may be just enough savings for a game high on your wishlist, it certainly isn't for just a really cool looking game that WILL be cheaper on a regular sale.

2. Only buy at less than 5$: This applies exactly like the above rule. Many games are still in the 10-20 dollar range even on sale. This may be enough for a game on your wishlist, but never gamble more on a complete shot in the dark.

3. Only buy games on your wish list: This is if the first two rules don't apply. Say you really want a game that is on sale, but the discount is only 25% or it still costs 15$. If it's been on your wishlist for awhile and your itching for a new game, then buy it and enjoy it. It probably won't be on sale again until Steams next big sale.



Top Pick:
Jet Set Radio: The first of two awesome skating games with amazing art style and wonderful gameplay. Ride around various levels in a city doing cool tricks and putting graffiti tags on walls. The music was really great too, and the PC port has a remastered sound track. I wish Future was available on PC as well. As it stands you can get Jet Set Radio for 50% off, or $2.49


Runner Up: 
Space Empires V – This older 4X space strategy still has a lot to offer. With one of the most in depth empire management systems I’ve ever seen, and excellent customization options, you will have a lot of choices of how to play a “campaign”. I will warn you that the learning curve is pretty steep, but once you get past it you’ll enjoy the depth available in this game. It’s 75% off and $3.74.


Honorable Mention: 
Future Wars: This is basically a poor man’s rip off of the Gameboy classic, Advanced Wars. The mechanics and AI sadly aren’t as good as it’s inspiration. It is pretty fun though, and at a whopping 90% off and $0.50 price tag you should definitely pick this one up.




Bonus Note: 
I have yet to include this note but its high time I start. Steam still has awesome deals throughout the week that I do not cover. I check the sales and write this on Monday Night, and post it Tuesday when I get home from work. Please keep checking! They may have an amazing sale on a game or series that you are really interested in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment